A Letter To My Husband On Father's Day

Dear Derek, 
I will never forget the moment I found out I was going to be a mommy. It was nerve wracking to say the least, and a dream come true to say the most. While completely unexpected, having Trace was the single most beautiful thing that has happened to me.
I remember just feeling like something inside of me was different. I knew I was pregnant. I woke up before work (you had already left for your job) and cautiously padded to the bathroom while the rest of our jam packed little home slept in. I pulled out a test and kept telling myself I was just being silly. But- the first of my mommy's intuition was right. I was pregnant. We were pregnant.
I was 21 and so scared. I called Casey in a frenzy. "You have to come downstairs. I have to talk to you." A sleepy half- awake Casey came down from his room and my shaking hands passed him the test. "What is this???", he asked. "It's a pregnancy test you idiot!!!" His face dropped a little and all he could say was, "Don't worry it will be ok." 
I called you right away, I had no idea what you would say. How you would feel. However, whatever I expected was not what I got. You were calm as I spoke half crying over the phone. You said exactly what your brother said, "Don't worry Kelly, it will be ok. We will be fine."
The next nine months were spent pouring over baby books, making new friends who knew more about parenting then I ever did, and planning a nursery around a house full of boys. 
The day Trace was born you transformed into the most amazing father. You were there right from the start. I saw tears in your eyes as you held your son for the first time. And you were eager to learn the basics, even changing the first diaper. Not only were you there for him, but you were there for me. For everything I needed, you stood by me and helped me through it all. 
Baby Trace
I remember exhausted nights, crying as I pumped breast milk at 3am. You took Trace and fed him bottles, changed his diapers, and encouraged me to continue what I was doing. Your encouragement for everything I do is amazing. You are my rock when I feel like falling apart.
We raised a beautiful healthy 2 year old from a tiny premature baby, and we now have two little monsters. I could not be happier sharing this parenting journey with you. When I have needed you, you were there. When you needed me, I was there for you. We fought colic, dairy allergies, endless tiresome nights, bad dreams, thunder, and boo-boo's. We continue to do so and you continue to amaze me. Seeing the way you and Trace laugh and play together is so beautiful. It brings tears to my eyes to see how much both of our babies love you. Their eyes light up the second you walk through the door after work. 
I love the way you want to read new parenting books with me, I love the way you put up only a small fight when I asked you if we could start using cloth instead of disposable diapers. And I especially love the way you sigh so loud as you load the washing machine at night packed with used diapers. I love the way you tease me, "Don't worry Derek, I will wash them EVERY night. YOOOOUUUU won't have to wash them." 
Hunnie, thank you for washing the diapers. 
I love the times that you come home from work and save me from the brink of rocking in a corner. You pick up the toys, help make dinner, brush Trace's teeth and tuck him in so sweetly. Then at the end of the day you grab our little Phoenix and plop her into bed with us and kiss her face even as she pulls your hair and screams in your face to stay awake. You have gained a lot of patience, my dear. 



You are a true blessing to our children. You work so hard to provide for our family and only ask for love in return. You teach us gratitude every day. You mean the world to us. And we love you to the ends of the universe and back. Parenting with you is a true joy. We are such a good team, Derek. 

Baby Phoenix

Happy Father's Day to the best dad I have ever known. My favorite dad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I literally bawled my eyes out. So beautiful.
I wanted to write a letter to my boyfriend too, this was his first time being a dad and i didnt know where to even start. This gave me the exact starting point and Im so excited to write it now!
So beautiful. :')

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs