Learning to Cook

I am not- nor was I ever, a cook. I don't even try half the time. Sticking something frozen in the oven or (the majority of nights) calling in for delivery is how our home has dinner. This is terrible, I know... 
But now that we have a family to take care of, eating at the table together at night is something very important to me. It means stability in our home, and I want it to become a safe haven for my kids to open up to us as they get older. At the table we will be able to share stories about our day or talk about family outings we have planned. I am excited to become the mommy that makes "the best....." I want to be the mommy that is always baking cookies and making things for the school bake sale. Yep, take me back to the 50's please. This is pretty much how I envision my family haha
And if I looked like this doing it all.... well that's just fine by me! 
OK I am getting off track here in fantasy land, sorry....

Derek and I have really been pushing ourselves to shop smart and buy things we will eat instead of getting them, and forgetting them. We wasted so much food having to throw expired groceries out because we didn't eat them fast enough. We are starting small with our recipes because honestly, I can't even cook chicken breast properly. But the things we have made so far have come out divine! Here are a few of our fave organic recipes so far!

We started out with egg salad (yeah.... we had no idea how to make this hahaha)
Ingredients:
12 large organic eggs
2 tablespoons organic mayonnaise or vegan mayo (like Nayonaise)
1 tablespoon organic whole-grain mustard
2 stalks organic celery, washed and chopped
1 small organic dill pickle, washed and chopped
¼ organic red onion, washed and chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
Method:
1. Place eggs in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by about an inch. Close the pot tight with a lid.
2. Bring to a boil and let boil for one minute. Cover; remove from heat, and let sit for 8 minutes.
3. Prepare a large bowl with ice water, and after the 8 minutes are over, place the eggs inside of it and let sit for 3 minutes. Now you can peel the eggs into a large bowl, and if they're difficult to peel, don't worry – that just means they are very fresh!
4. In the large bowl, add the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder and lemon juice. Chop it all together with your fork, but don't mush it up too much – you want there to be chunks of eggs.
5. Add the onion, celery and pickle. Mix it all together lightly and enjoy!

Then we moved onto Organic Spinach Lasagna-
1 sm. box uncooked organic lasagna noodles
16 oz. sm. curd cottage cheese (try to buy organic)
2 c. shredded organic Mozzarella cheese
1 egg
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
or use the organic fresh spinach you see in the produce section.
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. organic oregano
1/2 tsp. organic pepper
32 oz. organic spaghetti sauce
1 lb. ground (no hormones, no preservatives) beef, browned (we used organic lean turkey to make it even healthier), add to sauce
Method:
Mix egg, 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, spinach, seasonings. Layer in 9“ x 12” pan. Lightly grease a lasagna pan and spoon in enough meat sauce to cover bottom of pan; top with strips of uncooked lasagna. Spread with part of cheese filling. Repeat layers, ending with meat sauce. If desired, sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes. Delicious.

The only thing missing from this recipe is an oven temp- I Googled other lasagna recipes and found that 350 degrees seemed like a good temperature.  

Let's put it this way- my husband had four slices of lasagna the first night and pretty much finished it off the next day for lunch and dinner. It was sooooo good! Saucier then what I expected but so yummy! Derek said it was one of the best lasagnas he's ever had. So it's a win for us!

On another note- in my mission to make a cupcake themed kitchen I found this apron and I am in looooveee!!!!
I may have to buy this now that I am going to be cooking up a storm with the hubs!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs